Saturday, February 14, 2009

Possibly Two Peas in a Pod?

In the midst of having all of this Valentine's Day propaganda thrown at me, I found this great article about describing love in six words. It is really amazing how revealing six words can really be. I thought that this would be my way of participating in today that was not not sappy, but heart felt. I really believed that the recipient of my work would love the original idea much more so than a Hallmark card. Okay, it was more the idea that I could stay in my pj's that much longer, but I was sure this thought would count.

I tackled this project with much gusto and bravado. Who can not write about love in six words? I can knock this out in 30 minutes and have time to be lazy and catch the last of the Housewives of New York. And then I started writing.

Do you know how hard it is to sum up love of any kind in six words? Do you know how hard it is for someone who loves to talk, who loves to describe things in excruciating detail to sum up anything, much less love in six words? I thought I was up to the challenge. And then I tried. And tried. You thought haiku's were hard. They have nothing on this six word love story. The constant pressing of the delete button was causing my carpel tunnel to act up.

I could have given up, got dressed, and started my valentine's shopping. But then I got stubborn and decided not to give up. Writing about love in six words was not going to stump me. I could do it...maybe.

So I kept at it. I kept trying to write this six word story of love and realized I was overthinking it. Then I just started thinking about how the idea of this holiday just drives me crazy.

And before you think I am one of those Sylvia Path reading, Chinese food eating, wearing all black girls to protest this holiday, you are wrong...sort of. You see, I appreciate the fact that people want to express love, but I really think that this should be done every day, not just on a mandated holiday. It is really true...it is the thought that counts. Unfortunately for any many in my life, roses have not been the way to my heart for awhile.

I have an aversion to roses, and not just because everyone gives roses on this day. One of my ex's ruined roses for me. It got to the point that when I saw roses, I would instantly cringe and wonder what had happen...or what was going to. Roses became a token gesture, and guys were forced to expand their flower palette when it came to me. I forced them to go out of their comfort zone and visit the florist for ideas. When florist see any man I am dating, they ( literally) jump up and down at the thought of actually getting to be creative and create a beautiful arrangement. I always explained that I would much rather have different flowers, and if they wanted they could put the cash they saved towards something else. And if that something else was a sweater from Banana, I would not object.

If you have or are dating any of my ex's, you can thank me later.

Working on my love in six words has given me another reason why this holiday frustrates me. But I would not give up. I just needed the right inspiration.

While trying to write the perfect six word story of love, I procrastinate and look out the window to see the Fed Ex truck and UPS van race around the neighborhood. I can guess they are dropping off yet more boxes of long stem roses to a very happy and non jaded rose recipient. Or maybe, just maybe, they are delivering to someonewho was too lazy to go to the florist and decided to order the flowers online and have them delivered to them so they could pretend they just went out today to get them. What? You don't think people would do that...be too lazy not to leave their house to pick/create a gift but to use their computer? That is totally something my guy would do. And come to think of it...

And then it hits me. I exhale, write the title of the blog as my story of love in six words, and realize that I can be concise when I need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comment