Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Recipe for Love

My friend got engaged on Wednesday, moved in with her boyfriend on Thursday, and got married on Monday...and no, it was not a shotgun wedding.

These two just decided that there was no reason why they had to wait and instead had a quiet celebration. In talking to both the bride and the groom, they decided that they just wanted to be together, and could not see why they should wait to do so. These two had seen too many friends plan elaborate events only to never watch the wedding DVD, and they were just looking for something simple. I loved the idea, and thought that while my friends and family would stroke out if I chose this route of wedding planning, I appreciated their bravery and was thrilled I was invited to be the witness to the celebration.


So that is how I found myself at 3pm Monday standing on a gazebo with a few other close friends sharing in the intimate celebration of the exchanging of vows. Well, it was as intimate as it could be with kids crying, mom's yelling for the whereabouts of the crying kids, and a wayward duck thinking I was its mom chasing me down the pathway to the wedding site. But hey, the happy couple had only eyes and ears for each other during the actual ceremony, and that is all that matters, right?

This was a dramatic departure from the previous weddings I have been to recently. First of all, as a witness, I was expected to sign paperwork... not sign a check for a hideous dress that would stay on my body less than a day but remain buried in my closet for a lifetime. I also did not have to spend big bucks traveling to a "destination " that I would not otherwise ever plan to go to in my lifetime to watch the union. The party the night before did not involve a visit to the local precinct, the bride did not turn out in a bat crazy bridezilla because there was just not any time for her to even ramp up, and I did not have to deal with the usual drunk and/or crazy wedding guests. All in all, I think this day worked out well for everyone involved.

After being a part of this experience, I decided that this just might be my recipe for love when I get married. Keep it short, simple, and focus on what's important...the person you are commiting the rest of your life. They decided to focus on each other and not the day, and I am definitely voting for that if and when I make the walk down the aisle. Besides, I know enough bartenders in this town that any day could really be considered an open bar for me!

However, some things- no matter how big or small the wedding- always stay the same. I bet that the justice of the peace would read First Corinthians over Colossians 3:12, and I was so right....

No comments:

Post a Comment

comment